Problem: Got a Word document (this works with Excel/Powerpoints as well) with linked images instead of embedded ones. Needed to put all of them into the document.
- Open Word, and go to ‘FILE’ -> ‘Options’
- Go to ‘Quick Access Toolbar’ section
- Under ‘Choose commands from’ select ‘All Commands’ and select ‘Edit Links to Files’
- Click on the ‘Add’ button to add it to the quick access toolbar.
- Click ‘OK’ to save the changes
- You’ll now find a new icon for ‘Edit Links to Files’ in the quick access toolbar at the top left of Word, click on it.
The ‘Links’ window will open and will list all the files that are linked to the document.
- Select the file(s) you want to unlink and click ‘Break’ and make sure the option ‘Save picture in document’ is ticked.
- Click ‘OK’ to save the changes.
- That’s all. The file(s) will now be unlinked. It (they) will remain in the Word document as a picture.
PS: In french version of Microsoft Office, the option is called ‘Modifier les liens d’accès aux fichiers’